My Blog List

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Modular Madness Critique


My piece did not turn out the way I wanted. I did not realize how long it would take me to melt the crayons to the box. I spent around 20 hours on this project...

I critiqued my art work myself i think some things that would improve the piece are standing it straight up, making it a "wow" in craft(No Drips!), and making a nicer base.

For the presentation of my work I chose to talk about Process/Ambitious, Materials, and Form. I decided in the beginning that I would strip the crayons of their paper and melt them to create my piece. I think that crayons are  an ambitious object in general, it was very difficult to work with. My material was very messy and kind of difficult to work with. I couldn't control exactly where the melted crayon went! Another thing that was kind of difficult was the fragility of the melted crayon after it melted. I feel like the if it was not made out of crayon the process the difficulties and the outcome would be COMPLETELY different. So no it could not be made from a different object just as well, I used something that were characteristic of a crayon to make the piece. Which leads to form I used color, shape and texture. In this piece I used complementary, warm and cool color patterns along with some color scales. I chose some geometric shapes to show the shape of the understructure off. I was inspired to do geometric shapes  by Larry Bell's piece L.Bell's House III(Death Hollow). The piece had a unique texture. I wish i could have played it up more by carving into the natural melting patterns. I melted the crayons with the end of an old glue gun it gave it very nice textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment